blog thesite
www.flickr.com

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Either/Or: The Schools



OR



You decide.

Okay, so seriously. I got my money back from American today. I sent in an appeal because it is not nearly enough. In addition to a $5,500 loan I will have to come up with an extra $18,794 a year. That's pretty much impossible. If the appeal comes through, I might be able to make it, but with hella loans.

On the other hand, Maryland should come up with some good money. Even if they don't, there's a chance I could come out with a minimal, or even ZERO loans. This is a big selling point.

On top of this I started looking for apartments and found University View. Apparently these are the brand new apartments that are RIGHT BY the campus.



* Dedicated University View shuttle buses through the University of Maryland Campus
* Walking Bridge directly from University View to the University of Maryland campus
* Pool and terrace with campus view
* 24 hour, 7 day a week concierge service
* Club room with pool tables, big screen TV and fooseball
* Directly linked to extensive jogging/biking trail system
* Fitness Center
* Internet café
* Wifi in common areas
* Study center
* Vending / snack stop
* Parking options
* Electronic access
* Telephone entry system
* Trash chute and garbage removal included
* Bicycle storage with electronic key access



Suite rent includes

* Full size washer and dryer in each suite
* Hi speed internet included
* Direct TV included
* Telephone ready
* Basic utilities included
* Independent heat and air conditioning in each unit
* Electronic keyed access
* Access to University View amenities with pre-opening lease sign-up
* Furnished suite which includes:
Bedroom
o Stylish full size bed
o Desk with drawer
o Desk chair designed with students in mind
o Dresser
o Nightstand
Living room
o Couch
o Overstuffed chair
o Coffee table
o Entertainment center
o End table
Kitchen
o 24"x 48" dining table
o 4 kitchen chairs designed for students
o Well planned cabinets and counter space
* Kitchen appliances which include
o Automatic ice maker with refrigerator
o Full size microwave
o Stove
o Full-size sink with garbage disposer
o Automatic dishwasher


Okay, so we know that that's awesome. The 2 bedroom 2 bath is $735 a month. In all, this comes out to a little bit more than room and board (including cost of food). That's pretty awesome I think.

Now compare that to AU:




And after all that, the next most important thing is academics. Maryland definitely has a lot of choices. Everyone knows it. AU...not everybody knows about it. Both are climbing, but Maryland is a lot harder to get into these days - it requires a 1250 SAT to get into. They definitely have what I want in terms of academics, especially in terms of options with academics.

AU has awesome Multimedia type things, and they're okay with Studio Art. I don't really know about Maryland, but I still think it's comparable.

My counselor said I should go to UMD instead. He said it's definitely comparable to AU, and is more bang for the buck. Who knows what I could do with the extra money? It would make things easier: I could go on summer trips, possibly have better chances of making my technological lifestyle a bit more-so, and most importantly, have money when I go into whatever field it is where I'll not be making much money.

So what do you think? AU or UMD? Let me know.

*Edit*

Altogether (without even knowing money from UMD) it will cost about $18k to go there, books, housing, tuition, transportation, all that. With knowing money (for now) it will cost about $23k to go to AU.

So $18k without knowing aid.
$23k with knowing aid.

Oh and UMD is #56 in the rankings, versus AU at #86. UMD is only four below Pepperdine.

4 Comments:

Anonymous lois said...

;_;
nooo dont leave me!!!!

8:32 PM  
Blogger Jessi said...

sounds a lot like you'd rather go to umd. do what you want.

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NOOOOOOOOO, Your soo lucky to get in on first try to transfer, I still have to wait another year. If I was in your spot I would be dam happy to go to American University. - Lily

11:56 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

AU is just incredibly expensive. And alas, I have made my decision. But you can all come enjoy the view from my pseudo-penthouse suite.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home